Children can learn a lot from participating in sports. The qualities of hard work, discipline, and good sportsmanship are of great value not only in the sporting arena, but also in the game of life.
However, either because their bodies are less coordinated or because they might overestimate their physical abilities, kids can get hurt on the playing field. Here some things you can do to protect your young athletes from injury:
- Use the right equipment: Ask your child’s coach for advice regarding the purchasing and maintenance of sports equipment. All recommended sporting gear such as helmets, shoes, and mouthguards should be of the right size and fit correctly.
- The play area should be well maintained: Ensure there are no uneven surfaces, holes, or ruts on playing surfaces that might increase the risk of falls which can cause serious injury in case of high-impact sports.
- Your child’s coach should be well qualified: In addition to knowing the rules and regulations of the game, the coach should have training in providing first aid and know what to do in case of an emergency. The coach should also have a ‘safety-first’ attitude rather than a “win-at-all-costs” attitude, which might encourage children to play through the pain increasing risk of injury.
- Choose the right sport: Ask the coach on the suitability of a sport depending on how tall, strong, or flexible your child is. It is also a good idea to check with your doctor before letting your child start a new sports program.
- Prepare your child well for the game: The benefits of properly warming up the body before strenuous physical activity should be explained; and make sure your child gets enough nourishment and rest to grow stronger with every training session or game.
Whether its baseball, basketball, football, ice hockey, or soccer; these tips will help keep your kids safe as they go out there and conquer!
Dr. Domb is a nationally recognized orthopaedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery of the hip, shoulder and knee. A noted pioneer in advanced new techniques in hip arthroscopy, he delivers innovative treatments for patients with hip injuries such as impingement and labral tears. Dr. Domb is also an expert in arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder and knee, adept in specialized techniques including arthroscopic rotator cuff repair and all-inside ACL reconstruction.