Staying active is the key to health and happiness at all ages. By spending more time on the playground or participating in sports, kids not only benefit physically but also develop the self-confidence and focus needed to perform better at school. As you age, staying active is critical to maintaining overall health and wellbeing. Much of the physical decline commonly associated with aging can be reversed to some degree by maintaining an active and healthy lifestyle.
Here is a list of the top 5 benefits of staying active at any age:
1. Weight Control: The more active you are, the more calories you burn. Increasing activity level combined with healthy eating is a surefire way to lose weight and achieve a healthy body mass index.
2. Management of Chronic Health Conditions: Being active increases the levels HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) and decreases levels of LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol). This helps keep your cardiovascular system in good condition. Regular activity also helps control other chronic conditions such as diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and arthritis.
3. More Energy & Improved Mood: The simple act of getting off the couch and walking around the room can help you fight fatigue. A research study found that with regular participation in low-intensity exercise, inactive people could increase their energy levels by up to 20% and decrease fatigue levels by up to 65%. Additionally, vigorous physical activity stimulates the release of chemicals from your brain that make you feel happy and relaxed.
4. Better Sleep: Did you know that 35-40% of American adults have difficulty falling asleep? Studies indicate about achieving about 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity every week can be an effective nonpharmaceutical solution to sleeping problems.
5. Improved Bone & Joint Health: Any kind of weightbearing activity helps build strong bones in the young individuals and helps maintain bone mass in the elderly. Strong and healthy bones help us remain independent and active as we grow older.
If you haven’t been very active lately or you have some health concerns, it is a good idea to talk to your doctor before starting a new fitness program.
Dr. Domb is a nationally recognized orthopaedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery of the hip, shoulder and knee. A noted pioneer in advanced new techniques in hip arthroscopy, he delivers innovative treatments for patients with hip injuries such as impingement and labral tears. Dr. Domb is also an expert in arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder and knee, adept in specialized techniques including arthroscopic rotator cuff repair and all-inside ACL reconstruction.