Summer is around the corner and as the weather warms up, many of us like to enjoy the outdoors with our friends and family. Parks, public fields and courts get packed during the weekends. Both children and adults can take a break from school and work to indulge in some exciting sports activities.
A sudden burst of exercise after long hours of a sedentary week can be extremely stressful to many parts of the body, particularly for those who don’t routinely workout through the week. Minimally used muscles, ligaments and tendons can get damaged and lead to injuries: muscle cramps, sprains, ligament and tendon tears, or even fractures.
It’s important to consider ways to avoid injuries. Here are some simple, yet effective tips that can help you get all the ‘gain without the pain’:
- Ensure that you warm up and cool down before and after any sports activity.
- Check your shoes for a comfortable and supportive fit
- Check sports equipment such as helmets and gloves, for damage.
- Play by the rules. Use the right techniques. They were instituted to not only bring about a sense of fairness in the game but also to keep it safe.
- Don’t overexert yourself, taking breaks between your games.
- Be aware of what your body is telling you. If you feel pain or exhaustion, don’t push your body to perform.
- Stay hydrated with water.
Follow these simple steps to help prevent injury and enjoy your weekend sports!
Dr. Domb is a nationally recognized orthopaedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery of the hip, shoulder and knee. A noted pioneer in advanced new techniques in hip arthroscopy, he delivers innovative treatments for patients with hip injuries such as impingement and labral tears. Dr. Domb is also an expert in arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder and knee, adept in specialized techniques including arthroscopic rotator cuff repair and all-inside ACL reconstruction.